Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin Williams

Last night, the world was saddened by the loss of Robin Williams.  I didn't know what to say about it until I read what my son, Gavin, posted on his Facebook page.  Here are his words, which are better than anything I could have written:


I know my voice is just one in a massive chorus this morning, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't add it anyway. There are very few creative artists whom I would not even once hesitate to describe as geniuses. Robin Williams was one of them. He changed the face of comedy over and over again in things like Mork and Mindy, Mrs. Doubtfire, The Birdcage, and even his tiny role in Nine Months, he brought tears to our eyes in mixed laughter and sorrow in brilliant masterpieces like Good Morning, Vietnam, Moscow on the Hudson, Dead Poets Society, and Good Will Hunting, he took us to magical worlds of imagination and wonder in movies like FernGully, Aladdin, Jumanji, What Dreams May Come, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Hook, and he brought us to dark and uncomfortable places in risky endeavors like The Fisher King, One Hour Photo, Insomnia, Death to Smoochy, and World's Greatest Dad. In many ways, he defined a generation.
 
We've lost a gem, a star, a hero who's life and work had a staggeringly positive impact on the world around him, and we should not lose anyone the way we lost him. Today I'll add my voice to the thousands of others quoting Walt Whitman: "O Captain! my Captain!"

No comments:

Post a Comment